Thursday 23 August 2012

Righteousness is an Acquired Taste



Today I read this verse and it was today I actually realized what it meant. I read it before and I guess I never noticed. This is why the Bible, the Word of God can never get old.

In this parable Jesus was comparing old wine verse new wine. Or rather making an implication of the old life of sin and worldliness verses the new life in Christ and leaning towards righteousness. The word I want to point out is straightway, another word we can use is immediately. 

Notice he says that no man having drunk old wine straightway desires the new one, but rather he say, the old one is better. I'll start by saying that righteousness is an acquired taste, after all no man was born righteous (Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:), meaning that the life of sin that we would have before coming to the knowledge of Jesus Christ and accepting is one we preferred and were comfortable with. 

Becoming one who is righteous is a process, a growing process... you start somewhere. But you must persist... like I said, its an acquired taste... and once the taste is acquired, you should start to hate the old life.

Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

This statement speaks to loving your enemies... quite contrary to mankind's heart which is inherently evil... Anyway I was saying the problem with people isn't that we don't love righteousness, the problem is, we don't hate sin... its true. We love good happening to us and we feel good when we do something good, but think about this, do we hate sin? Lets think about it and I don't mean some sin, I mean all of them... No justification, but confession!

Righteousness is an acquired taste... a process, it take renewal of the heart and mind...
Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Additional Verses: 1John 2:15; Ephesians 5:17; 1Thessalonians 4:3;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers